One of the aspects of our time in the wilderness I haven't touched on has to do with just me. Four years ago, I was perfectly happy and content teaching at a local middle school. I loved it there and did NOT want to move schools and I surely did NOT want to teach at a different grade level! Well, again- when I told God this, like a father tends to do, he allowed me to have my tantrum and told me I had to anyways.
I ended up at my current school, teaching sixth grade. Being at an intermediate school (that thinks it should be an elementary school) has been like a roller coaster. There was one year where I completely sough God's will in my classroom and had the most AMAZING group of kids and an exceptional year. (Imagine that!)
My concerns (complaints) at the school mostly had to do with an extremely LOW morale at this particular campus. As you know, irritability and unhappiness are contagious! I often caught the plague and struggled to remain positive amidst all of our issues, including having nine different administrators in four years.
At the end of last school year, I decided to put in for a transfer. I did some soul searching to ensure I wasn't requesting a transfer because I was mad or anything like that and finally determined I was ready to head back up to middle school. I wouldn't change schools just for the sake of changing, and I prayed God would make it CLEAR as to where he would have me.
Well... every door I tried to walk through, he closed. It became clear I was to stay put... and again... WAIT.
Little did I know that in late, LATE summer, we would aquire our third principal in three years. I wasn't "excited" because I knew things could go from bad to worse with so much inconsistency... but I turned to my Real Deal peeps and asked them to pray for a Godly, positive principal to turn our school around.
Well, this week, teachers headed back. I have NEVER walked into that school building and seen everyone SO excited to be there! EVERYONE, even the chronic Debbie Downers had smiles on their faces. Our new principal was so welcoming and positive... I think we were all in shock for a while. She was motivating and personable and very down to Earth. This breath of fresh air in returning to school is JUST what I needed.
Who knows what the year will bring, but please continue to pray for our principal, teachers and ALL of our staff! May this be just the beginning of the best year we've ever had at our school! Pray for the students I met for the first time last night. Pray for my teammate as she embarks on her last year before retirement! I'm running her off! Can you believe it?!!? ~ Don't answer that!~
Anyhow- my eyes are opened again to God's sovereinty and faithfullness in our lives! He knew I needed a big gulp of refreshment!
That is a great example of what Pastor was talking about yesterday! Sometimes we need to stick with it just a little bit longer to see the awesome work He is getting ready to do! Praying that you have an incredible year, Mrs. Porter! :)
ReplyDeleteHmm--- I remember someone running a few roommates out of her dorm room also. I can't imagine why! Keep up the positive attitude. Just remember how many lives your Christian witness is touching through that school. God wants to continue growing you.
ReplyDelete